The three nominees for the Tenth Bishop of New Hampshire are announced today! Read about them all here. Download their profiles and questions. Read and pray! There are many qualities that a bishop should bring to a diocese: pastoral, administrative, symbolic. There are qualities that a bishop should draw out of the churches that he or she leads.
About six weeks ago, the Evangelism Commission talked about a list of questions that we would like the bishop nominees to consider. Some of the questions we came up with were:
- What church growth programs have you successfully executed or would want to see in New Hampshire?
- From our profile, what about the state of New Hampshire do you find exciting as a mission field? What challenges to do you see?
- What vision would you give to our small and aging churches to guide their evangelism work?
- What programs or staff would you put in place for the growth of our churches?
- How does evangelism rank among your priorities?
- Please describe your experiences...good and bad...with your efforts to encourage evangelism in your congregations.
- Is evangelism a clergy responsibility? Or does it ultimately require lay leadership?
- How would you deal with the problem of small, stagnant churches that appear to you to have no will to grow?
- How would you encourage innovative, grass roots welcoming ministries in our congregations?
- What, in your opinion, should the Diocese do to foster evangelism, and what can the diocese learn from its congregations?
- What do you think are the greater obstacles to effective evangelism...lack of funds, lack of know-how, or lack of will?
- What, specifically, would you do first to lead us on the path toward renewed congregational growth? What resources would be needed?
The questions intend to provoke and raise up conversations for our future bishop and diocese to have. Perhaps these questions, or questions like them, will come up at the "Meet and Greet" events with the nominees in early May. Be sure to mark your calendar for the event that is easiest for you to attend:
- Tuesday, May 1, 2012 Exeter High School in Exeter
- Wednesday, May 2, 2012 The Holderness School in Plymouth
- Thursday, May 3, 2012 St. Paul's School in Concord
All are welcome! Come and ask your questions to our bishop nominees. This is one big way that you can shape the future of our diocese!